Hey guys, I recently created a twitter bot called @GameIdeaMachine which I thought you fine folks might find useful. It basically tweets random game ideas every so often, but you can also send simple commands to the bot to ask for an idea of a particular type (ie ["@gameideamachine](mailto:"@gameideamachine) [command]"), the current list of commands are:
- idea - a totally random idea from any category
- sim - a sim/tycoon/board game
- action - an action/shooter type game
- adventure - an RPG/adventure game
- indie - an arty/indie game
- mashup - a suggestion referencing existing games
- weapon - an idea centered around a weapon of some sort
- setting - an idea focused on the setting
- character - a game based on a particular character
- racing - a racing game
The code is all on github, and I'm open to suggestions or improvements, especially if anyone want to add more words and phrases to improve the pool (although right now it has over 220 million possible ideas).
I'm hoping it will prove to be a useful tool for people looking for a bit of inspiration, especially for things like game jams, it's only been running for a few days so far, and it's already helped me and a few others get some cool ideas.
Have a look and let me know what you think.
Not too bad from the ones I read. Ray Bradbury used to take a random word and use it to come up with story ideas. If anything, your approach might be too specific.
Good point. I was thinking of adding a new command along those lines, for vaguer ideas, aimed at game jams and such, so you would tweet “@gameideamachine jam” and get “@yourname Theme: Loss, Element: A book”