bewitcher at March 25th, 2005 05:12 — #1
Just wondering if anyone had experience in converting a game from Mophun to J2ME and whether it's difficult or not to do
Thx for any help or pointers
mihail121 at March 25th, 2005 06:07 — #2
Yes, the convertion from Mophun to J2ME is extremely difficult to do! You are not only confronted with the task of converting from C to Java but you also have to make the Java application portable, which is not that easy, because of all of the mobile vendor specific stuff.
bewitcher at March 25th, 2005 06:32 — #3
Thx for that..I suspected it wouldn't be that easy. We do work in J2ME and have a chance to do this conversion, but we havn't worked in Mophun before - would you know if we'd need the sdk kit for mophun to attempt port to J2ME? (sorry, I'm not a techie) just the biz person.
ravuya at March 28th, 2005 00:02 — #4
It probably wouldn't hurt to have it around, but I doubt you need it as long as you have the source. Be aware it is a very difficult port however.. Mophun apps also run a lot faster than J2ME on similar hardware for fairly obvious reasons, so your development team will likely need to look out for performance pitfalls.
bewitcher at March 28th, 2005 04:34 — #5
Thx for that Ravuya..difficult decision for us on whether we shld attempt it, but at least we have the info that it's not that easy to do..thx again
mihail121 at March 28th, 2005 08:53 — #6
It probably wouldn't hurt to have it around, but I doubt you need it as long as you have the source. Be aware it is a very difficult port however.. Mophun apps also run a lot faster than J2ME on similar hardware for fairly obvious reasons, so your development team will likely need to look out for performance pitfalls. [snapback]16885[/snapback]
Somewhat true... but Mophun apps NEVER run on more than 14 FPS, even if there are plenty of resources!
henrikb at April 11th, 2005 04:25 — #7
Thx for that..I suspected it wouldn't be that easy. We do work in J2ME and have a chance to do this conversion, but we havn't worked in Mophun before - would you know if we'd need the sdk kit for mophun to attempt port to J2ME? (sorry, I'm not a techie) just the biz person. [snapback]16805[/snapback]
Just wanted to share my own experience from porting a game from Mophun to J2ME MIDP 1.0 since I am in the finishing stages of such a project right now.
Background: I am the original author of the game on Mophun and have a good understanding of Mophun and a very good understanding of C. The game in question was a fairly simple 2D puzzle game, which used only a small part of Mophuns graphics-related API. It did however use Mophun's "socket"-API and "persistant storage"-features.
I had no(!) knowledge of Java, J2ME or MIDP 1.0 when I started, but read quite a few tutorials and other introductory texts before I started the project.
Experiences: Converting the actual game logic, i.e. more or less converting ANSI-C to pure Java, proved to be very easy since the syntax of Java is almost identical to C. Converted a few structures and pointers to arrays, but that was no major problem.
What proved challenging was dealing with MIDP 1.0's "repaint strategy" though, but that shouldn't be too challening for you if you have lots of experience from developing Java titles.
Another challenge was converting the "persistant storage" functions, since Mophun treats this data as ordinary files and Java uses its database-like "RecordStore".
Yet another challenge was fonts. I was adviced to use built-in system fonts in J2ME instead of re-using the hand-painted bitmap fonts I used in the Mophun-project. The problem is that on some phones only "very big" fonts seem to be available to Java applications. Since my game uses fonts quite heavily (game GUI, menu system, help texts, etc.) and I didn't want to use "Forms" etc. for this I will have to accept that the game will be "unplayable" on phones which only have "too big" fonts.
I still haven't found Java phone portability to be a major problem, but I have only tried the game on a handful of phones (both MIDP 1.0 and MIDP 2.0) and two different emulators yet, so I'm fearing that this may still be a problem since I've heard alot of "rumours" about this being a problem.
The porting project went very fast in the beginning, but has slowed down considerably towards the end. Mainly because I had to learn a few new Java and/or J2ME-realted things. Overall I didn't run into any major obstacles though.
bewitcher at April 11th, 2005 05:36 — #8
Thx for that henrikb! - and your first post too!
Our technical guys are more keen to do this, now that we're armed with some knowledge about how to go about it - thx to everyone again - it has been a great help.