Greetings to all,
Sorry to trouble you all with yet another 'help me select an engine' thread, but I wanted to tap into the wealth of experience that is available here
I'm looking for a 3D game engine to develop a 3D simulation of an underground mine as part of my Phd, requiring:
- Dynamic lighting and shadows
- Basic texturing, including bump maps and reflective textures
- Scripting and event trigger / response capabilities, including the ability to create and modify a number of variables within the virtual environment to model the behaviour of the underground mine
- The ability to closely monitor and log user activity
- The ability to import 3D models from external software (such as 3DSMax)
- World editor / terrain builder, with the ability to string a series of separate levels together into one scenario
- Special effects such as fire and smoke
Ease of development is also a definite requirement here, as the simulation environment needs to be deployed to field asap in order to start collecting data.
I have spent a considerable amount of time trawling this site and checking out the engine database and have also downloaded a number of demos to check out. However, I was really hoping that any of you with some experience in this area might be able to help me out by eliminating engine choices that aren't compatible with what I've outlined above. I'm not afraid to do some coding if requried, as I have some experience with C++, Java, OpenGL etc, and I also have funds available, so I am not limited to just the engines that are free to use. If any of you here could provide some insight based on your experiences, it would be greatly appreciated.